Demi Lovato Unleashed Talks Anorexia, Joe Jonas, Boys on Ryan Seacrest Show


Demi Lovato opened up about her eating disorders, wrist cutting, rehab, and her relationship with Joe Jonas while plugging her new single, Skyscraper, appearing on 'On Air with Ryan Seacrest' Tuesday, July 12.

Skyscraper is the first single from Demi's third studio album. The song premiered on July 12, 2011 on Ryan Seacrest's morning radio show.

The 18-year-old singer/actress said her family, friends, colleagues knew about her eating disorders for almost six years but did not know how to approach it.

"I was just lying to everyone. My managers, the people I was working with. I was lying about eating, and just being happy."

"It was affecting every area of my life. I was being cranky, I was irritable, not pleasant really to work with. I became a little brat on set, and I just had so much growing up to do."

Demi says the toughest part of her treatment was being away in rehab during Christmas.

I spent every holiday from Halloween to almost Valentines day, and I remember sitting there thinking, "I had so much six months ago, and here I am in a treatment center. What has my life become? How did I let it get to this point?"

Demi shows her tattoos on her wrists 'Stay Strong' that she got inked to cover her slit scars.

"It was very symbolic for me to cover that up and also replace it with something else that'll be permanent and I will never be able to forget the support that I had when checked in (rehab)."

By talking about her journey she wants to be able to help out other young boys and girls who suffer like her and her message to them:

"I want them to know that you just need to tell someone, and its going to be okay, and you can make it through, because I'm living proof."

Demi said she was never suicidal but "I was in some really, really dark times though."

Her ex-boyfriend Joe Jonas knew about her eating disorder.

"Joe, was my best friend for years prior to that so he knew. Obviously, I'm not super close with him anymore just because a lot has happened, but I was very thankful to have the support of many friends even up to this day," she said.

Demi said there is no boy in her life right now.

"I am so busy trying to figure out my own self out, I am not going to even try." She added that for later she is open to date anyone, even someone not famous.

Demi says she is totally off TV for now and wants to stay away from being in front of the camera for some more time. She does want to act in films and is looking out for good roles. Until then she wants to focus on being in the studio, recording and feeling confident of her music.

She says her new album will be out much sooner than expected. She clears rumors of doing a duet with Kelly Clarkson but her album does have a duet with a male singer whose name she wants to keep in wraps for now.